Focus - Dwelling Spaces

Wednesday 2 March 2016

Focus

As the rain, hail, sleet and snow was pelting against my window this morning I was drawn away from my normal view of the trees and college buildings around me to the raindrops and rivulets running down the window, and it got me thinking about focus. It is pretty easy to get distracted and end up focusing on the things that are right in front of us, the urgent things that sudden pop up and demand attention. But it's not good to have your focus there too long, for a start it does take a lot of energy to keep focus on those things so closely because they are changing all the time and it makes you feel like you need to keep looking at them. I felt a bit like that looking for a new house, because I really wanted it sorted out quickly I ended up checking the new sale details really often until I realised what I was doing and how much time and effort I was wasting.
It is good to know when to refocus from the immediate onto what is just beyond. The trees are changing at the moment, but not as rapidly as the raindrops on the window. Changing your focus on to the things that are moving at a slower pace is helpful to put short-term things into their right context. The urgent always needs to be balanced with the important.

No comments:

Post a Comment