Clothes - Dwelling Spaces

Tuesday 16 February 2016

Clothes



Now anyone who knows me knows that I don't really do clothes shopping. Clothes are pretty much just functional things for me - buy them, wear them until they fall apart then buy something similar to replace them. And I strongly suspect that I have never been overcome enough by an item of clothing or even shoes to the point that I must have it in my wardrobe. (The possible exception is a cowboy shirt I had as a little girl which still holds a special place in my heart...) As a result my imminent ordination and resulting necessity to buy new clothes - the 'uniform' for my new job if you like - has not been filling me with joy!


Today was the first day that the clergy clothes people have come to college this year. For the last two years I have happily walked on by, but today it was 'trying on' day. It is a slightly odd experience seeing yourself in a dog collar for the first time. Interestingly it didn't provoke such a strong reaction in me as the first time I put a cassock on in my first year and had a bit of an identity crisis. This time it felt more normal which is a good thing. I am sure no-one ever feels ready to be ordained but I've done enough of the things I will be doing that I can imagine myself in the role a bit more clearly now. Nevertheless it is strange seeing yourself dressed as a priest. I guess in a way you dress for the role, much as you feel more professional in a suit than in sports clothes, and so the clothes are a way of occupying that space. That probably means that I need to pay a bit more attention to clothes in the next little while - may be no bad thing!











No comments:

Post a Comment